Thursday, June 21, 2007

Georgia Tech's Ramblin' Wreck Wrecked


It's a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech
...and it will take a hell of an engineer to get it going again.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the vintage car that leads the Georgia Tech football team onto Grant Field before Yellow Jackets games was wrecked for real as it was being towed to Savannah to be used in a wedding. The "Ramblin' Wreck" has been a fixture at Tech football games since it led the football team onto the field on September 31, 1961 prior to Tech's drubbing of Rice by the score of 24-0!

Tech officials said Wednesday that they hope to get repairs done to the 1930 Model A Sports Coupe mascot in time for the home opener against Samford.

Read the entire article here.


plez sez: to me the "Wreck" represents Georgia Tech Football... and it happens to be parked just below my front row seats at Bobby Dodd Stadium during the games (i have season tickets). since my freshman year, i have associated cheering the team's entrance into the stadium with seeing the "Ramblin' Wreck" rip through the banner with our pom-pom waving cheerleaders on its running boards.

i can only imagine that some Tech big-wig (i.e. alumni donor with deep pockets) paid to have the "Wreck" appear in his daughter's or son's wedding in Savannah. but this also begs the question: should a vintage car that is almost 80 years old be getting carted around the state like a show pony?

i propose the following: (1) fix the damn thing before our season opener, and (2) leave the damn thing on Tech's campus where it belongs!

ok, now... let's all sing the Ramblin' Wreck Song together:


"I'm a ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech and a helluva engineer.
A helluva, helluva, helluva, hellava, hellava engineer.
Like all good jolly fellows, I drink my whiskey clear,
I'm a ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech and a helluva engineer!

"Oh, if I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in white and gold,
And put her on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what he'd do,
He would yell, 'TO HELL WITH GEORGIA'
Like his daddy used to do!

"Oh, if I had a barrel of rum and sugar three thousand pounds,
A college bell to put it in, a clapper to stir it 'round.
I'd sing to all good fellows, who come from far and near,
I'm a ramblin' gamblin' helluva engineer!"

1 comment:

David Sullivan said...

I think the ACC is going to be great this year. BC is going to be tough!!