Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

Sonora Smart Dodd sat in church on Mother's Day in 1909, and didn't like what she heard.

The Rev. Harry Rasmus was rambling on about the importance of mothers, but had nothing to say about fathers.

Dodd decided then that men like her father, William Smart - a widowed Civil War veteran who raised his six children on a farm - needed a similar holiday, and embarked on a lifelong quest to make it happen.
Read the entire Seattle Post-Intelligencer article here.

plez sez: i still remember my siblings (three older brothers and younger sister) and i getting up early on sunday morning and preparing breakfast in bed for my parents on Father's Day. in addition to breakfast in bed, he would usually be the recipient of a signed card, some cheap aftershave (like Brut or Old Spice), and a colorful necktie (which he would graciously wear to church).

now, i look forward to a home-made card from my daughter and a big kiss from my wife. last year, i received an XBOX 360 for Father's Day, which is a far cry from a bottle of Brut!

i know that we're not worthy of the love you have for your mother, but cherish your father... and make this a HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

11 comments:

CapCity said...

AMEN to THAT, Plez! Love the photo of what I think is your daughter's hand in YOURS? I posted a treasured photo of me & my Daddy when I was a wee thang, too! I did not know as a child the rare Treasure I had in my father & I RELISH it immensely NOW! May u & your daughter know such intense closeness! & may your wife enjoy her "Big Daddy" w/his "pretty" se'f! ;-)

plez... said...

CAP,
thanks for the warm wishes... that is indeed my daughter's and my hand, the picture was taken during one of our sunday morning rituals of breakfast at our local Waffle House! *smile*

i am so glad and BLESSED to have had the opportunity to be raised into manhood by my father, i shudder to think of the mess i would've been without him, his discipline, and his wisdom.

oba said...

plez --

Happy Father's Day to you and all the other dads out there.

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day!

Dave J. said...

:)

Dads are people too! Hehe. Nice one Plez, I'm happy to hear that all is well with your family, and that you all had a great Father's Day.

Francis Holland said...

Plez, you and I agree about a lot of things, so let's come to some new understanding about Imus and D.L. Hughley: Please Don't Ignore D.L. Hughley's Symptoms of Extreme Color-Aroused Disorder (ECA).

David Sullivan said...

Happy Fathers Day to You too P- dog! (Belated)

Christopher Chambers said...

Amen man

CapCity said...

U've been awarded the Thinking Blogger's Award by me! Stop by my spot to see what that means:-)

Francis Holland said...

Happy Father's Day everyone. "How do you treat a "racist"?" A Francis L. Holland drama now showing at MyLeftWing.

BronzeBuckaroo said...

A very touching post.