Tuesday, September 05, 2006

"A Girl Like Me" - The Video


From the Uth TV website: Kiri Davis, 16, wanted to make a film that explored the standards of beauty imposed on today's black girls. How do these standards affect her self-esteem or self-image. Through making this film I learned a lot about where some of these standards might stem from.



This is a 7 minute video showing the attitudes of Black children (mainly girls) and what it means to them to be Black in the 21st century. There is even a segment on the test where Black children are asked to choose the "good" baby from a set of White and Black baby dolls; this "test" was part of the basis for the Supreme Court ruling in 1954 Brown vs. The Board of Education .

plez sez: From the video, we can see that there certainly is no advantage to being Black. In short, it appears that it is not much better to be Black in 2006 than it was back in 1954!

4 comments:

Christopher King said...

Ed Mearns told me about that study. He was my favorite law school professor and one of the implementing attorneys of Brown vs. Board. With two nieces running around at ages 5 and 9, you bet I'm watching that.

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/2006/08/kingcast-presents-professor-ted-mearns.html

Meanwhile, did you know that not only has Chief Dunn been disciplined for work improprieties, but the hasty departure of Prosecutor Albrecht was occasioned by an investigation into his activities? You betcha'

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/2006/09/kingcast-and-concord-monitor-reveal.html

I always maintained that the case against me was the most unprincipled action I have ever seen, short of something in the Medieval era.

Plez my G-d this has to be here to test my strength. I will survive and thrive no matter what they do to me, but for everyone's healing they need to cut this case loose and walk away on my (next) trial date, 13 Sept.

Peace.

PS: Thanks for the previous music post. I actually enjoy Chamber music -- the nerdiest of the nerdiest while working but I took down the classical on the blawg -- got too many complaints and not enough attaboys. There's my concession to the masses.

Anonymous said...

Nice post Plez, thanks for the knowledge.

BTW, I thought your "wreck" gave a good effort against those golden domers ;)

Better luck next time.

Peace!

Sorry I had to post as "A" I am in the new beta and it won't let me post as field-negro.

D-Place said...

I think these kinds of studies are always interesting. However, the bad thing about them is that they never have a solution. They just state what's out there. I think the Black Is Beautiful campaign tried to address just this issue. For the life of me I don't know what happened to that. I take that back yes I do. The government.

Christopher King said...

Hey Plez, is this your most recent post?

Things are winding down for a bit in my neck of the woods.

Check the updates:

The Police Chief has been fired, the Prosecutor hastily-resigned under an ethics investigation and I've got most of the Unauthorized Practice of Law case thrown out:

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/2006/11/kingcast-and-christopher-king-thank_20.html

Just about 2 years of my life put on hold, but as to my resiliency, my Great-Great Aunt, Mother Ann, would be proud and tell me to keep on keepin' on, so I shall.

I'll holler when I get down South next time.

Peace.