Sunday, April 06, 2008

Seven Random Facts About plezWorld

Rafique, author of The Liberal War Journal has tagged me with the Seven Random Facts meme. Since plezWorld doesn't get tagged for memes very often, I'm compelled to comply.

The Rules:
I. Link to the person who tagged you.

II. Post the Rules Here.

III. Share Seven Random or Weird Facts About Yourself:
1. I started my first job when I was ten years old, delivering newspapers in Tarrytown, NY; the minimum age was 12 years old, but the delivery manager let me do it because my three older brothers also had paper routes in the small town.

2. I know a member of the Village People of "YMCA" fame, he was the choir director of the youth choir in the church that I attended in Elmsford, New York... his father was also the pastor of the church.

3. I used to take vocal training as a teenager and my only performance was a less-than-stellar rendition of the old Frank Sinatra standard "My Way."

4. Both of my parents were raised on farms in Depression Era and segregated North Carolina, they migrated up North in the late 1950's where I was born in New York; I was part of the reverse migration of the 1980's that brought me back Down South to Atlanta, Georgia.

5. I was a NASA Scholar when I went to college and I entertained the idea of entering the astronaut program, but I was too tall (I'm 6'4" and the maximum height requirement was under 6').

6. I met my wife 24 years ago at a party after the annual Georgia vs. Georgia Tech Football Game on the campus of the University of Georgia; the party was thrown by my frat brothers and she was hanging out with her snooty sorority sisters.

7. Many find it hard to believe that my wife and I share one checking account - the one I opened as a freshman at Georgia Tech - and we're still married after close to 18 years.

IV. Tag 7 random people, linking to them:
1. Lola Gets...
2. Boo Goo Doo Boom
3. Lori's Old School Mix
4. Cynical Bastard
5. living-loving-laughing
6. Stepfather of Soul
7. Terrence Says

(I actually put a random number generator to my Blog Roll and these are the seven blogs that emerged)

V. Leave a comment letting them know you've tagged them.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hey Plez,
Thanks for the tag (I think *smile*). You listed some interesting facts and surprisingly, we have a few things in common.

First, you're taller than average (so am I). Of course, I would have never guessed you to be THAT tall (smile). Also, you've been married for quite some time (so have I). Also, like you, I met my spouse while attending college.

Don't know when I'll get around to listing my own random/weird facts. I already did so, not too long ago. But I may take another shot at it next week upon my return to Charlotte.