Monday, March 27, 2006

Denzel Shines in Spike Lee's "Inside Man"


Twenty years ago (1986), I remember taking my girlfriend (now my wife) to see "She's Gotta Have It". There was a young Black director, named Spike Lee, who had scraped up the money to produce and direct the movie set in New York City. It was a controversial movie filmed in black and white, with a cool jazz soundtrack, and beautiful Black people. It was required viewing for my crowd.

Fast forward to last weekend. Saturday night with my four-year old daughter at her grandmother's house for a sleepover, my wife and I decided to take in Spike Lee's "Inside Man," starring the two time Academy Award-winning Denzel Washington. It also had standout performances by Academy Award-winning Jodie Foster and Clive Owen.

Well, the movie was great. I felt that it was Denzel Washington's best performance since Malcolm X. It is not your typical Spike Lee Joint, for one, Spike is NOT in the movie. It is very cerebral and has an excellent plot. In retrospect, it reminds me of "The Usual Suspects" without the blood and shooting. And the ending is similar to "The Usual Suspects"... I can't say more without giving it away. I want to see it again, because I know I missed how these guys were going to get away with the robbery.

The movie did a whopping $29 million on opening weekend taking the number one spot and relegating the number two movie to less than half of the revenue. Even if you are not a fan of Spike Lee movies, this is a must see.

1 comment:

Christopher King said...

Solid. I'll check it out. Did you ever watch 25th Hour? It's brilliant, too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307901/

It must be the pad.....shhhhiiiite..... Mr. Brogan, I do believe you are f*cked. Royally.

As you know, that movie hits home to me on a personal level, and had I done actually done something wrong or been slinging blow, I would have done my time. But I haven't, so I'm not. And I don't like getting hit in the face too much.