- "Pop Life" from Around the World In A Day LP (3:42)
it's pretty nasty in the way Prince has the delayed lyrics in the left speakers, huh? oh, you never noticed that, did ya?
- "Irresistible Bitch" from The Hits/B-Sides LP (4:12)
i love the chimes in the background, almost sounds like the song was recorded in a church... bitchin'!
- "Batdance" from Batman LP (6:14)
"go... go... go with a smile!"
- "Partyup" from Dirty Mind LP (4:24)
the boy started out bad with a war protest song that you can actually dance to... check out those rough riffs on the guitar and MF bass line...
"how ya gonna make me kill someone i don't even know?"
- "200 Balloons" from The Hits/B-Sides LP (5:05)
"fly with me, 200 balloons!"
- "Controversy" from Controversy LP (7:15)
driving bass, ticklin' those strings on his guitar... this is the album that i wasn't supposed to buy, because i gave my little sister the albums poster of a half-naked Prince in the shower! OOOPS! and to add insult to injury, he had the NERVE to recite the Lord's Prayer (a la Jimi Hendrix) to the beat! BLASPHEMY!"people call me rude, i wish we all were nude,
i wish there was no black & white, i wish there was no rules."
- "Little Red Corvette" from 1999 LP (5:03)
"i guess i should've known by the way you parked your car sideways that it wouldn't last..."
- "Sexy Dancer" from Prince LP (4:18)
i drove through a snow storm from New York City to Hampton, Virginia to see Prince as the opening act for Rick James in 1979.
- "Erotic City (Dance Mix)" from Erotic City (Single) EP (7:26)
when i was in college, this was MY FAVORITE dance song... erotic city come alive!
- "Damned If I Do" from Emancipation (Disc 1) LP (5:21)
under the moniker "the artist formerly known as prince", he did an independent release of some of his best STUFF in 1996 in a 3 disc boxed set.
- "Anotherloverholenyohead" from Parade LP (4:00)
i'd rather dance to this cut from the "Parade" LP than the much more POPular "Kiss".
- "Uptown" from Dirty Mind LP (5:32)
oh shit, now i'm gonna be humming this song all night: "i don't usually talk to strangers, but she's so pretty... gotta go Uptown!"
- "We Gets Up" from Emancipation (Disc 1) LP (4:18)
yeah, Prince was droppin' it on disc one of this collection... he's got the bass kickin' ass and those funky horns bringing up the rear... and you gotta stay around to the end of the song to hear Prince to tear it up on that guitar. "We gets up!"
- "Sexy M.F. (12" Remix)" from My Name is Prince [Remixes] LP (7:34)
i love a good remix that's true to the original, but adds just enough edge to make you wanna get up outta yo' seat... this is IT!
- "I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man" from Sign O' The Times (Disc ?) LP (6:29)
"i may be qualified for a one night stand, but i could never take the place... of yo' man."
- "Live 4 Love" from Diamonds and Pearls LP (7:00)
i love the countdown and the awesome drum solo and bass line that kicks off this joint... damn, i think i'm working up a sweat.
- "I Wanna Be Your Lover" from Prince LP (3:42)
i guess i'll shut this jam session down with one of Prince's first hits... genius endures.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
In Rotation - It's Humpday, Ya'll (Part VI)
For the past 3 months, I've had a team working on a project for one of my key clients. Today's challenge was a 3 hour presentation to the executive steering committee on our results. And now it's time to unwind! I'll let my iPod hype me up with my PurpleDance playlist, featuring Prince's more upbeat and danceable tunes... if you want to dance, you can: