Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"Read A Book" - The Rap Video

I stumbled across the following video on YouTube.com. It is a somewhat entertaining satire on the state of hip hop today. I edited the description of the video:
This was shot on BET Animation [for] "106 & Park". It is a satirical observation on the current ridiculous, offensive, and embarrassing state of the once noble art of hip hop. The rapper who made the song is also satirizing the current popular rap music which is an embarrassment to everything [that] rap was. While making this social satire, he also provides a positive message [mixed with some] social commentary.

WARNING:
Due to excessive cussin' and gratuitous use of the n-word,
this video is NOT suitable for children.



plez sez: i grappled with myself for several days trying to decide whether to post this video on my blog. i don't want anyone to misconstrue this blog as a supporter of this kind of "art."

i tend to agree with the video description that this is a sad commentary on the state of rap (and hip hop). the question we should ask, "what is more important, the message or the messenger?" should we continue to support and make millionaires out of the kind of "artists" who would write, produce, and distribute something that you wouldn't want your young children to listen to?

back in the day, it was understood that Millie Jackson, Redd Foxx, and Richard Pryor were only for adults. but now, "artists" like Snoop Dogg and 50 Cent enjoy mass distribution and airplay of their "art" no matter how crude and vile the content.

i remember when rap music first enjoyed popularity (late 70's and early 80's): there wasn't an emphasis on "keepin' it real"! there was little or no cursing. believe it or not, but the Video Vixen is a relatively new phenomenon. and the n-word didn't enjoy such popularity in our music.

if it weren't so sad, it would be funny.

damn! i long for the days of rap songs like "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five."

3 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

I hear you Plez...since i consider myself and old hip-hop head, i was pacified on Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five, Sugar Hill Gang, and others...The message was like my anthem, during a very difficult time, at a time where i was defining myself...we all go through it, after puberty, last college years, and i'm facing so much adversity...i sang that song in my sleep..."Don't push me...cuz i'm close to the edge...i'm trying not to lose my head."

Lori said...

Yes, we are so far removed from "The Message" it's not even funny. Like Mizrepresent, that song reminds me of my college years. She sang it in her sleep, heck, I started humming it as soon as I got up and my feet hit the floor (LOL). "It's like a jungle sometimes, makes me wonder how I keep from going under . . ."

Francis Holland said...

Plez, please read this essay about all that my mother, who was a college professor did to try to get the public school system to educate me, before she had to take me out of the public school system and educate me on her own dime.

Now, if my mother, who was working on her doctorate and teaching at a college when all of this occurred, had this much trouble advocating for her sons, then what hope is there for less-educated parents struggling with systemically color-aroused school systems organized to practice discrimination against our children?

There IS hope, but only by fighting tooth and nail day after day, and NEVER taking "no" for an answer.

Best bet: Home school your children yourselves if you can! Use the GED system as an alternative to high schools where 50% of students are flunking anyway.