Dear SiteMeter Users,
We have become aware of a compatibility issue with our SiteMeter tracking code and IE 7 ([and] IE 6) browsers that started sometime last night.
The problem was related to some work we were doing on the backend system for our upcoming website launch.
We’ve identified and resolved two separate but related issues -
1 - IE Users viewing pages - There was a problem with users who placed their SiteMeter tracking code outside of their HTML Body Tag. Because of the changes we made this created a failure for visitors viewing sites using Internet Explorer 7.
2 - Accessing SiteMeter and Stats - Individuals trying to access or view their SiteMeter stats by clicking on their SiteMeter logo/icons were unable to gain access. This again appears to have affected only individuals using IE7.
At this time both problems have been fixed and our services are fully operational.
For those who removed the SiteMeter code from your pages please be assured that the problem has been resolved and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
The SiteMeter Team
plezWorld apologizes to all the bloggers and friends who were unable to access this site over the past 24 hours. hopefully, SiteMeter.com will do a better job of testing their software updates/patches prior to releasing them to an unsuspecting Internet universe... especially, on a Friday afternoon!