Thursday, February 07, 2008

Heath Ledger - R.I.P.

The New York City Medical Examiner's office states that Heath Ledger died from an accidental overdose of prescription medications including painkillers, anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping pills. A deadly cocktail of drugs were found in his body at the time of his death:
  • Oxycodone -- narcotic/painkiller; trade names: OxyContin, Percodan
  • Hydrocodone -- narcotic/painkiller; trade name (combined with acetaminophen): Vicodin
  • Diazepam -- anti-anxiety drug; trade name: Valium
  • Alprazolam -- anti-anxiety drug; trade name: Xanax
  • Doxylamine -- sleep medication; trade name: Unisom
  • Temazepam -- sleep medication; trade name: Restoril
  • This combination of drugs could cause the brain and brain stem to "fall asleep," halting heart and lung function.

    Read the entire CNN article here.


    plez sez: i feel sorry for his family & friends, the glare of the hollywood scene can be a bit much for celebrities. couple that with a mysterious death of an otherwise healthy individual and you have fodder for 2 months of teasers on Entertainment Tonight.

    but how is injesting SIX different powerful narcotics accidental? i've had vicodin after a minor surgery and that *ISH* will knock you the F**K OUT! after taking one, i was out within minutes and i would be asleep for 3 to 4 hours.

    i don't know heath ledger, except for what i've seen on the nightly news: i haven't seen any of his movies, and i imagine he was an alright fellow... but this story doesn't jive with me. to my way of thinking, if you take a lethal dose of SIX powerful narcotics and anti-depressants, you ain't expecting to wake up - that is no accident. and i should know, i have a good friend who attempted suicide when we were in college - he didn't take the whole bottle, he took enough to where he thought that he wouldn't wake up... and he was SHOCKED when he woke up the next day! to me, it looks like ledger had a more successful go at it.

    2 comments:

    Lola Gets said...

    I hate to say this, but I dont think this overdose was "accidental" either. Anyone who has that many prescriptions for that many things knows the effects of each and how they work with each other (or they should know!). But I do agree that there should be more regulations concerning getting prescription medications on the Internet. Regular folks shouldnt have all access to prescription drugs without a doctors okay.

    L

    Bygbaby said...

    I agree that OD was not accidental. Had he been Black & poor, it would have just been a suicide. Frankly I really don't care about the death. Why should I or anyone else. he obviously did not care, right???

    Bygbaby